Well, here’s the answer in a very simple language.
- WordPress.com is FREE.
- This is not Self Hosted and you only get a Sub domain.
- This is limited.
- WordPress.org is not FREE.
- This is Self Hosted.
- This is unlimited.
What is a Sub Domain and why WordPress.com is FREE?
WordPress.com does not offer you a self hosted URL for your website. What it offers you is a sub domain. A sub domain is basically a sub set of a larger domain. Hence if you want to create a blog with url as startbloggingtodayblog.com , then your domain name on WordPress.com will be www.startbloggingtodayblog.wordpress.com
I created this WordPress.com blog website (www.startbloggingtodayblog.wordpress.com) exclusively for the readers to understand them what is a domain and what is a sub-domain. So here WordPress.com is the domain and startbloggingtodayblog is the sub domain.
Before i move any further, I just wanted to let you guys that there are many other blogging platforms which are free. (The free ones usually provide you with sub domains).
It does not cost much, but yes it does cost you some money to own a self hosted site.
WordPress.com – Limitations
WordPress.com offers you around 100 themes to choose from while WordPress.org offers you to choose from 1000+ free themes.
While WordPress.com offers you only few plugins to be installed , WordPress.org offers your unlimited Plugins.
You may not be allowed to post heavy content on WordPress.com. But if still you can do that if you can pay $99 per Year for same, while WordPress.org offers you a good space, depends mostly on your hosting provider.
Your Content is not Your’s on WordPress.com
Yes that’s perfectly true. WordPress.com does not take any responsibility to back up your content. Hence this can be removed anytime from WordPress.com and one fine morning you may not find your blog.
You will not be allowed to sell ads on WordPress.com and you not be able to monetize your blog.
On a self hosted blog, you will be able to Monetize, place ads and you can even resell your website. That’s amazing and believe me its not much.
People will also not take you on a serious note if you are on WordPress.com and frankly speaking i have never found any famous blogger using sub domain.
- WordPress.com is FREE ,other is not.
- WordPress.org is self hosted, other is not.
- It takes 5 minutes to set-up blog on WordPress.com, while it takes 15 minutes to set up a self hosted blog
- WordPress.com offer you around 100+ Themes while WordPress.org offers you 1000+ themes.
- You can monetize blog on WordPress.org while other cannot be monetized.
- WordPress.org – You have to update your website while WordPress.com regularly updates itself and sub domains.
- Storage on WordPress.com is limited while its unlimited or depends on the hosting provider on WordPress.org.
Hence if you are serious with blogging, looking for long term and you ever want to monetize on that, then go with self hosted WordPress.com – No second thoughts, visit my blog starter guide.
If you want to do blogging for fun and short term , go for WordPress.com