The big question, what is SEO and why its important ?
SEO is basically the art of optimizing your website, so that it appears in one of the top results of search engines like Google,Yahoo,Bing etc.You will need to optimize your content and site architecture to help Google crawl and index your page so that users can find your relevant page.
SEO is extremely important for your website for the following reasons.
- To increase your online presence.
- To increase Organic ( natural & not paid) traffic to your blog.
- Your site appears in the search results for the targeted Keywords.
- Helps users find the right content they are looking for.
- To help search engines find the original ,relevant content and navigate the same.
Most important, all your competitors are doing it, so why not you when it is Cost effective, so lets get started with SEO.
SEO can be broadly classified into two major categories , On Page SEO and Off Page SEO.
On Page SEO
On Page SEO or On Page Optimization basically refers to optimization techniques which are directly controlled by you. e.g Your HTML code of your page ,Title descriptions, meta tags , keyword density etc.
Off Page SEO
Off Page SEO or Off page Optimization basically refers to factors that affect your page ranking and which are not directly controlled by you or code on your page. e.g your page Rank, links of your site on other sites, link popularity etc.
Here I have listed down most of the key On-Page SEO factors that can have a significant impact on your page rankings. Read my On Page SEO step by step guide to start with On page SEO.
On Page SEO factors – Do’s
- Keyword Research (As always, i put Keyword research as the first step in SEO).
- Use of targeted keyword in the blog
- Content should be fresh and about latest topic
- Include optimized images with proper file names and relevant “Alt-text”
- Content should not be thin or too short ( more than 500 words) and should carry substance.
- Use robots.txt to restrict content from indexing.
- Use sitemap.xml to help Google crawl your pages easily.
- Create a sitemap page for blog readers.
- Manage duplicate content by using rel=”canonical”
- Make sure your site is responsive (Works on Mobile as well).
- Page load speed must be Good. ( I must say , HostGator is the best when it comes to speed).
- Avoid Cryptic URL’s and include meaningful keywords in URL’s.
- If possible, use https to provide secure connection to users.
- Title tag must contain keywords which are relevant to your page content.
- Meta Description tag should be a relevant summary of your page content.
- Make use of structured data.
- Use heading tag (H1) with relevant Keywords.
- Make use of rel=”nofollow” for external links on your site.
- Use 301 redirect to resolve google crawl 404 errors in Web master tools.
- Resolve broken links and keep your sitemap.xml updated.
On Page SEO factors – Dont’s
- Avoid any form of cloaking – Search engines must see the same content and pages which you are showing to your users.
- Avoid include hidden keywords in different colors/design , for which you want your pages to be ranked for.
- Avoid Keyword Stuffing
- Your site should not contain too many Ad’s
- Don’t add recycled content
Off Page SEO factors – Do’s
- Social Bookmarking
- Use Web2.0 to power your SEO
- Design a Google Plus Page
- Video Promotions-Upload a YouTube video of your blog.The more people like and follow, the more you will increase your traffic.
- Link Wheel , Back links.
- Local Listings & Yellow Pages
- Article Submission on high PR sites.
- Question Answering on sites like Quora helps big way.
- Community Creation in Social Networking Sites like Facebook,G+
- Forum Postings
- Directory Submission
- Blog Commenting – Put positive comments on others blog posts with relevant blog links will help in link building.
- Info-graphics – Submit your interesting info graphics on info-graphics submission sites (High PR sites).
- Submit RSS feed for your blog
- Use Pinterest for sharing images
- Business Listing – Particularly important after Penguin update.
- Sign up for Google Authority so that Google trusts your content.
Off Page SEO factors – Dont’s
- Do not purchase back links for better rankings.You might get penalized.
- Don’t use software to build links for your site.
If you think i have not included any of the SEO factors, please do not forget to leave a comment on my page.
All the best