We have already seen how to start a food blog and how to start a fashion blog. Now, I will show you how to install WordPress theme, here I am going to cover areas which will help you to set-up your first WordPress theme and blog in not more than 10 mins.
Set-up, Design, and Create your Blog
Once you login to www.yourblogname.com/wp-admin/, majorly you have to focus on following areas
- WordPress Dashboard Overview.
- Changing blog’s Layout/View – Theme Customization.
- Installing new WordPress plugins and Add-on’s.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for ranking your page.
Gift: You can log in to your blog by going to www.yourblogname.com/wp-admin/ and using the credentials you set up with HostGator or any other hosting company you have used.
WordPress Dashboard – Quick view…
This is first login view of your word press admin account, you have to use www.yourblogname.com/wp-admin/ to open login page
As new blogger you should know these features on figure tips
- #Dashboard – Is the gist look of your recent activities, which includes details of how many posts you have published recently, recent comments waiting for approval and pages you have etc. Your site status like Bar Chart showing a number of visits to each page and post per day/week.
- #Pages – These are static pages having information like Contact Us, About, Support etc. You may have seen menu having links to open such pages.
- #Posts– You can create new post or blog, edit the existing post to update it, delete any post no more required, publish the post, or save as draft/Pending Review for future editing/Review.
- #Media– This is the group of all the images, videos/audio files you’ve uploaded to your site and required to be shown on any post.
- #Comments– Manage Approve/Reject comments from readers
- #Appearance– As the name suggests, you can edit your blog’s design, install new themes and can change the layout. Keep reading as I have documented details below how to do this.
- #Plugins– WordPress have a rich collection of plugins, you can power your site with wonderful features and most of them are free.
- #Settings– perform various setting for your blog site, details below.
Design your blog, activate the Themes for the first time usage
Themes – A theme is a design/look and feel of any site. This is front page of your site includes color, font size and every thing which involves appearance. Choose theme as per your requirement from more than 2,500 professionally designed, available completely free. (Free themes have limited capabilities, but if you want, you can decide to buy pro versions anytime as per your requirement to switch without any data/post loss).
WordPress comprise the huge collection of themes for everything you can think of, either photography, blogging, travel, e-commerce, ticket booking, food blog, Astro etc. Install as much as you want until you are not happy.
Check these FREE WordPress themes, before you install one.
How to find and install a theme?
See the image to understand quickly – Go to “Appearance” – > “Theme” -> “Add New”
for first time usage you have to add the new theme and then have to install it, just 10 sec task to activate.
Now click on the “Install” button of the theme and you will notice that theme is installed on your WordPress.
Can you notice Feature Filter Option, It is always a pain to search theme which fits your need without this option, but WordPress have done this very well, You can apply filters to find out your preferred theme and then can select it.
Note: – You can install as many themes without any limit, But at a time one theme is activated
Although FREE themes are great and even I had set-up my first blog on FREE themes, there are some limitations in FREE themes like.
- They are not regularly updates
- No Support in case of any issue
- Very limited features
- Security Risk
- Most importantly, they are not SEO friendly.
Therefore, if you are planning your blog as a business, I will recommend Premium WordPress Themes which are fabulous and comes at very fair price with excellent features.
Thanks for reading my post how to install WordPress theme