What is Sitemap.xml generator or Google XML Sitemap?
Google XML Sitemap is the file used by search engines to read the information about all pages and post on your blog or site. Google XML Sitemaps tools are used to generate the file as per SEO compliance.
Do you know, that google and bing like search engines work days and night without stopping to rank your pages for users looking for the relevant information in your post/article/blog.
Sitemap.xml file is the standard which contains the metadata (like URL, update the frequency of post and last updated time) of all your post/pages and informs the search engines how often you make updates to it.
You should read How to submit site to google after this post.
Can you create Sitemap.xml without Xml Sitemap Generator tool?
Yes! you can create Google XML Sitemap file, but it is highly not recommended. The more manual intervention will increase the probability of more error prone data.
Many of developers have worked hard for you to provide some important useful tool which can help you to generate your sitemap file quickly. I will discuss some paid and free tools here which you can use to generate your sitemap easily.
Structure of Sitemap.xml file
This is the post URL, your sitemap.xml should contain all URLs of your blog.
This indicates how frequently the content/details at a particular URL will change.
The time when the URL was last modified. This information allows google/bing crawlers to avoid re-crawling documents that is not changed. You have option to let the generator set this field from your server’s response headers or to provide your own date and time.
The value for this schema value is a number between 0.0 and 1.0, where 0.0 identifies the lowest priority of the page on your site and 1.0 indicates the highest priority page on your blog/site.
The default priority of a page is 0.5.
Next question arises that, how should you decide best XML file generator for your blog/site? The answer of this question is according to the
Google XML Sitemap using online tools
There can be situation you might hosting your custom website i.e. you have not used any site builder like word press or jumla to create your website. In such case, you can generate Google XML Sitemap.xml file using online tools.
Screaming Frog’s spider tool is wonderful for SEO analysis and recommended by SEO consultants, it allows you to crawl up to 500 URLs in the free version for your website. You can find step by step guide about how to create your own Google XML Sitemap file in quick guide.
This another good online sitemap generator which can be used effectively to generate sitemap.xml. You can create an XML sitemap that can be submitted to Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines to help them crawl your website better. You can also generate an HTML site map to allow human visitors to easily navigate on your site. Create text sitemap to have a plain list of all pages. Create a ROR sitemap, which is an independent XML format for any search engine. See the other options of Change frequency, Last Modification, Priority and apply it as per your need.
Created using Website builder – You have chosen site builder for your site
Google XML Sitemap using WordPress Plugin –
This is absolutely free with lots of features which in Includes –
- Plugin Supports RSS and Google XML Sitemap, HTML formats.
- List all your WordPress Posts, Pages, Archives, Authors, Tags and Categories.
- Includes paged links for posts for Archives, Authors, Categories and Tags.
- Automatic daily auto ping to search engines when you have updated pages / posts in WordPress.
- Set global sitemap default values for priority and update frequencies of post/pages.
- Set sitemap value for priority and frequency at the category, tag, and Post and page level.
- Adds the latest pages / posts RSS feed to page header, SEO standard compliance.
- Automatically updates your Robots.txt file with sitemap entries.
Another free plugin from Better WordPress Plugin Google XML Sitemaps – you need not to worry about the 50,000 URL limit (50,000 is limit of pages you can have in single sitemap file, If your pages increase more than this limit the you have to break sitemap file) or the time it takes for a sitemap to be generated. The plugin is fast, consumes less resource and can be extended via your very own modules (yes, no hooks needed!). See the demo here of the sitemap index.
Another Free plugin with more than Active Installs: 100,000+. Have good features to generate sitemap.xml
- Sitemap Index with optional inclusion of sitemaps for post types, categories and tags.
- Feature for using Sitemap.xml with custom URLs .
- Custom or static sitemaps can be added to the index the page.
- Completely automatic post URL priority and change frequency calculation based on post age and comment and trackback activity.
- Options to define which post types and taxonomies get included in the sitemap and automatic priority calculation rules.
- Works out-of-the-box, even on Multisite
- Optionally include Image tags with caption and title for featured images or attached images.
- Pings Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yandex and Baidu on new post-publication.
- Exclude individual posts or pages
- Set the priority per post.
Note: You do not need these plugins if you are using any SEO plugin like Yoast / All in one SEO etc. Read the full article on What is SEO.
how-to-submit-site-to-google one you have successfully generated sitemap.xml for your blog.
Read what is wordpress robots.txt file to effectively use sitemap.xml.
Thanks for reading Sitemap.xml generator or Google XML Sitemaps Generator. Please do post comments for any suggestions.